› Full Story " />

EXCLUSIVE: Council ordered Secret Cinema shutdown

Newham Council ordered the Secret Cinema ‘Back to The Future’ cancellations, an on-site contractor told Access

The site resembled “a construction site” just hours before its opening event on Thursday 24 July, he added.

The source – a health and safety advisor for the event – also sent Access a distinctly bare photo of the 3,500-capacity arena (right), which he says was taken the morning of the opening day. 

The source, who preferred to stay anonymous out of concern for his job, said that the immersive theatre set, in Stratford, was still a construction site only hours before it was due to open its doors. 

He added that landowners reached out to Newham Council with serious concerns over the site’s preparedness on the opening day of the event. The Council and the London Fire Brigade visited and assessed mere hours before the site was due to open – and ordered Secret Cinema to cancel the event, according to our source. 

The ‘Back To the Future’ event will open today (31 July), a week later than planned

Access has contacted Newham Council, who said only that they are working closely with Secret Cinema. 

A Secret Cinema spokesperson did not comment directly, but told Access: “Aside from a lot of speculation, we are all working positively together to ensure Secret Cinema Presents Back to the Future is a great success. We are all excited that the event is going ahead and we hope audiences will have a great experience.”

Let us know if you have any further information about what went on behind the scenes at the Secret Cinema site last week.

Photo: The Secret Cinema ‘Back To the Future’ site the morning of Thursday 24 July.

  

Got news for Access All Areas? Email or tweet Emma Hudson
Follow us @Access_AA
Or on Facebook and Instagram

EXCLUSIVE: Council ordered Secret Cinema shutdown

Newham Council ordered the Secret Cinema ‘Back to The Future’ cancellations, an on-site contractor told Access

The site resembled “a construction site” just hours before its opening event on Thursday 24 July, he added.

The source – a health and safety advisor for the event – also sent Access a distinctly bare photo of the 3,500-capacity arena (right), which he says was taken the morning of the opening day. 

The source, who preferred to stay anonymous out of concern for his job, said that the immersive theatre set, in Stratford, was still a construction site only hours before it was due to open its doors. 

He added that landowners reached out to Newham Council with serious concerns over the site’s preparedness on the opening day of the event. The Council and the London Fire Brigade visited and assessed mere hours before the site was due to open – and ordered Secret Cinema to cancel the event, according to our source. 

The ‘Back To the Future’ event will open today (31 July), a week later than planned

Access has contacted Newham Council, who said only that they are working closely with Secret Cinema. 

A Secret Cinema spokesperson did not comment directly, but told Access: “Aside from a lot of speculation, we are all working positively together to ensure Secret Cinema Presents Back to the Future is a great success. We are all excited that the event is going ahead and we hope audiences will have a great experience.”

Let us know if you have any further information about what went on behind the scenes at the Secret Cinema site last week.

Photo: The Secret Cinema ‘Back To the Future’ site the morning of Thursday 24 July.

  

Got news for Access All Areas? Email or tweet Emma Hudson
Follow us @Access_AA
Or on Facebook and Instagram